Camera Rants, Upgrading Macbook HDD, Addiction, Travel Rants


My lousy camera didn't do justice to this fine dinner of tuyo and itlog maalat. It sucks that my Nikon Coolpix 4600 camera went kaput two weeks ago. I had to dig up my old Konica 2MP which is just barely hanging on.


I took out the stock 60GB sata hard drive of my Macbook and upgraded it to a 160GB Seagate. The stock hdd is a Toshiba made in the Philippines. To be more specific, it was likely assembled at their Sta. Rosa, Laguna plant. It was so easy to do this on a mac platform. I just cloned my old hdd into the new one, put the new one in, and it basically booted up with no problems. The new hdd uses perpendicular recording, hence the greater capacity while maintaining the same size. This upgrade brings my personal storage space to 1 terabyte.

Wait! Let me rant a bit and tell on these hard drive companies. I was wondering why my system only showed 149GB when I was expecting 160GB as advertised! It turns out that hard drive companies are exploiting the 'size matters' philosophy. You see, they've rounded off a gigabyte as 1GB=1,000,000,000 bytes. This is the same as rounding off pi to 3!

A gigabyte should actually be (2 raised to 30 bytes) or 1,073,741,842 bytes!! What they try to sell off as 160GB is actually 160,000,000,000 bytes and this is only 149GB!

Bastards!

This is the same gimmick used by speaker system suppliers who label 40 watt speakers as 200W (or if they are really sneaky 400w). The smaller value is correct but the higher values are fudge numbers called p.m.p.o (peak music power output).

Would you rather have a 3.75 inch penis and say it's only 2 inches than exclaim you have an 8 inch canyon filling monster which barely grazes 8 centimeters? (The analogy doesn't work for the vagina, as you really do want it to lean towards low dimensions....unless you're into fisting and all that other crazy stuff.....)


PA/PR Gromit checks that the new upgrade is working properly. HRO Karl Willem and PA/PR Gromit want to go to Havana this July but it seems there are no direct flights from Rio. We so want to go to Cuba before Fidel goes and the US invades it with McEvilDonald's and Starbutts Coffee.

Analyn got me Benguet coffee and Boy Bawang from Baguio. They should call this crack-corn. Immersed in vinegar with chili, it's so addictive.

HRO Karl Willem and PA/PR Gromit proudly present our first ever attempt at cooking Madras curry. We are diversifying and expanding our cooking repertoire. Since this is the first time I've made Indian food from scratch, I only invited two willing guinea pigs (Sarah and Josh) for the taste test. It needs some refinement (the chili overpowered the other flavours) but I'm happy to report my two friends are still alive.