Mountain 1. Nashman O


Lake Daizahoshi provides a respite from the heat and humidity of the city.

On a whim, I managed to convince my blonde people-can't-believe-she's-a-scientist trophy "wife" Hil that it would be a good idea to go climb at least one mountain while we were here. Nagano Prefecture is the alpine region of Japan and Sensei HRO Karl Willem picked mount Iizuna which used to be a famous ninja training ground. We were off at 3pm thinking that we could easily scale the 1917m volcano with enough time to go fishing for sashimi at Lake Daizahoshi at the foot of the mountain.

It's quite easy to take public transport in Japan even if you don't speak the language if you have enough common sense to realise that everything runs on time. Simply take the time table, look up how long, x, it takes for the bus to travel to your destination, mark the time you get on the bus then alight after the x minutes and you should be at your correct stop.

Despite Sensei HRO Karl Willem's extensive alpine experience and since it was summer, we thought we should give the map to Hil and make her the navigator. Bad idea. Never ask a girl who thinks a mini skirt is a proper hiking attire, even if she claims it allows for better freedom of movement. We quickly got lost and wasted a lot of time until I decided to assert my superior internal gyroscope to find our bearings. Of course, my superior internal gyroscope led me to an old man casually walking his dog. He gave some directions and we quickly found our way, running up the densely forested mountain. Sadly, for the safety of Sensei HRO Karl Willem, I had to call off the ascent 300m from the peak becuase it was nearly sunset.

On our way back to Nagano, I looked back at the mountain who was gloating and mocking us for failing to reach its peak. Blame it all on my blonde people-can't-believe-she's-a-scientist trophy "wife". This is why The Nashman normally climbs with Sensei HRO Karl Willem alone.

HRO Karl Willem and Mt. Iizuna behind him.



HRO Karl Willem tackles the strenous but not technical ascent up Mt. Iizuna and shows off some of his ninja skills.

HRO Karl Willem and Lake Daizahoshi.

And now, for more The Nashman "Lost in Translation" pictures...

The Nashman and HRO Karl Willem are still jetlagged. Thank Buddha for World Cup football and Japanese Beer.

Brewed for good times indeed. I kinda like the cocal-cola canister here.

Cadillac bar and diner. Our local pub while in Nagano.

Forgive me for being half-Ilocano. I can't help myself laughing whenever the word has 'oki' in it. For who in the world does not love 'oki'?

Are you a member of Fuculty?

That's where I'm living while here. Concrete jungle.