The Nashman Diaries: Maroc Day 4 - Omar's Sari-Sari Store In The Middle Of Nowhere


Farewell my dear ass....

Are you sure you don't want to go back up with me? she asked. And no matter how tempted I was, sadly I had to haul my now well-toned gluts back to the lowlands.

I said good luck and kissed her.

How did you know not to bring ice axes and crampons? asked the Scot who reached the refuge the night before lugging unnecessary accroutrements. Hello? It's just the tail-end of summer plus global warming. He was jolly good company and I also bid him good luck for his ascent. As if to show off, he walked straight up the scree. Bloody Scot.

I was quite happy with my little scouting expedition of the High Atlas. I got some local knowledge and will definitely come back to do longer hikes. The Swiss and Italian alps are pretty but I don't quite get the feeling of isolation and deep silence as I had in these parts. The night sky here is amazing. Totally dark but with all the stars pulsating in the heavens.

I said goodbye to the gardiens, the new friends I made, the mules, and the mountain goats and took a leisurely walk back to Imlil.....


Art

Be-eeeeeeeeeh. Be-eeeeeeeeh. Baram You....

How do these guys survive here?

What you looking at? May masama kang binabalak ano?

The goats begin to avoid me. They can smell a goat kilawen eating Igorot like me from miles away. And, from the 37C heat, I was beginning to get hungry......

Look, it's the dancing sun! It's a miracle! Judiel Nieva, God's Tranny, has come to save us!

And just when you think you are hallucinating, you rub your eyes and try to convince yourself that that thing in the distance is real.......



......yes, that thing! Do my eyes deceive me?......



Just when you think you are in the middle of nowhere, you find this! Presenting Omar's Sari-sari store in the middle of nowhere!



Look at that ingenious refrigeration system!



I had to stop, and after apologising to Omar for breaking Ramadan fast, drank one of the the best bottles of Coca-cola.....



Omar's store: 10 dirhams for a bottle of Coca cola in the middle of nowhere.



After the refreshing pit-stop, more walking under the noon day sun....



Back over Sidi......



It was too hot, I took a siesta under a tree....



...before moving on to take another siesta further down the road....



These shoes are made for walking.



.....more walking......



finally back in Imlil for some Mint tea.....