Some Guilty Friday Night Pleasures - And This Time It Doesn't Involve Having to Take Contraceptives


Spice up an ordinary off the shelf pepperoni pizza with buffalo mozarella...

While in Notting Hill last weekend, I stumbled into a second hand bookstore which has an excellent selection of comic books and graphic novels. Man! It was like being transported back to the 80s (my pre-teens, before I discovered onanism to keep me occupied) and I skipped lunch at Nobu because I was having one of those out of the body blast from the past experiences as I browsed through copies of classic Marvel and DC comics. Sadly, I'm still broke and so I limited my acquisitions to those more recent works drawn/inked by Flipinoys. Flipinoys of course have been illustrating comic books for ages (ie. The Swamp Thing drawn by Alcala from the early 80s).

It's been a rather disappointing week for me in the lab (my samples are shite and I've been unsuccessful in purifying them) so what better way to relax than popping pizza in the oven, pouring a glass of vodka cola, and burying my nose into some light reading.

Say goodbye for the meantime for these serious books...


Lila gave me a copy of Dostoevsky's "Notes from the underground" because she said it reminds her of me....Hmm, someone has some serious issues...

...and time to play Pink Martini's Symphatique and be transported back to my childhood with these great semi-classic works..


Whoever thought that Disney girl Lindsay Lohan can grow up to be so filthy....

His Royal Orangeness Karl Willem and PA Gromit enjoy pizza and graphic novel Friday. Suddenly, I don't miss having a girlfriend....

I picked up a couple of retro comicbooks. I got Stone written by Portacio and inked by Alanguilan; Birthright - Waid's retake of the Superman mythology drawn by Yu and inked by Alanguilan ( Honestly, I don't really like this retake but got it for the art); a Wolverine mini-series Not Dead Yet drawn by Yu and Alanguilan again; and a one off comic book by Mad icon Sergio Aragones for the DC Solo series. Everybody loves an Aragones cartoon!

Incidentally, the new Superman film is crap. Brandon Routh lacked any charisma or gravitas as Superman and the film provided the worst incarnation of Lois Lane. I hope they find other sets of actors for the next movie. I think only the first and current Batman as well as the Spidey series have been right on the mark. The other movie adaptations have been disappointing.

I hope that one day a Flipinoy will get a chance to work on any of the Dark Knight Series. That'll be wicked! While Las Islas Filipinas has the best illustrators, we do lack good graphic novel writers in the mold of Alan Moore, Frank Miller, or Neil Gaiman. I've ordered a new work by Alanguilan, "Elmer" - about a talking chicken which he has both written and illustrated, but it has yet to arrive in my pigeonhole. (Punyeta tagal dumating, baka pinitik ulit sa post office yun!) The reviews for Elmer have been positive and I can't wait to read it.

A bonus of reading graphic novels illustrated by Flipinoys is looking out for some Pinoy pop references in the artwork. Wolverine star illustrator Yu is notorious for this. He has even illustrated Jean Grey coming out of SM department store.

Wolverine prefers White Castle whiskey and drinks boxes of La Tondena tipple....


And when the X-men get hungry, they order chinese from Chowking.....