Sunset Duel With an Evil Grey Squirrel


This tree ain't big enough for the two of us.......

Our wavelengths must have been in phase today because despite the fact that it was another day in hell and the cinema airconditioning was off because of 'technical problems', my friend Helen and I went to see the new Pirates of the Carribean movie. The cinema was like a sauna and of all places where one can watch a movie without a shirt on because of the heat, I did not expect that place to be Middle Earth. The girls in the front row even hiked up their skirts way way above the levels imposed by the Catholic church. Yet, that did little to distract me from a very good popcorn movie.

Just over a year ago, Helen convinced me to take up fencing. During our early sparring sessions, she totally outclassed me despite me being left handed. I lacked the finesse and fluidity of motion required for such an elegant sport. I blamed it on the fact that I was used to the bolo (itak) because that was the sword of choice in the mean favelas of Baguio where I grew up. (I still believe that no one can defeat a bolo-weilding sunog-baga kanto tigas who has gone amuck. Excalibur would shatter to pieces in fear against a huramentado.)

Helen and I were totally entertained by the sword choreography that when the movie ended, I challenged her to a duel for old times' sake. But when we got outside it was still very hot and humid. "Nah, fencing is not really a summer sport."


It was a standoff between me and the evil grey squirrel. For such situations, I don't need a sword. Give me a golf club and let me whack the little pest. Save the Red Squirrel, kill every grey squirrel you see.