Travel Diary: Birthday Week Day 6 - Adda kadi laku da nga Dirty Ice Cream idiay Liechtenstein


His Royal Orangeness Karl Willem and PA/PR Gromit on a courtesy call to the officials of the Principality.

It jolted me as I stopped at a junction that I had covered 75% of the entire length of Liechtenstein. Not an exceptional feat in a country only 25km long, but given my advanced age (yep, it's all downhill after you reach your half-life) it's a big embarrassment that I haven't even fully explored my beloved Felepens. I've been stuck to Luzon all my life and the southernmost I've been to is Tagaytay (and I was disappointed to find that it was littered with boring fastfood franchises such as evil Starbucks, Jollibee, etc...the usual overpriced crap). I seriously need to rectify this lack of Philippine exposure.

His Royal Orangeness Karl Willem, PA/PR Gromit and I were off to see the Prince's art collection at the Kunstmuseum. Prince Johannes Adam Ferdinand Alois Josef Maria Marko d'Aviano Pius von und zu Liechtenstein is the only absolute monarch in Europa but to his credit, his principality still retains that rural charm. (There is one McDonald's though...ewww.) Still, the ultra-cleanness and orderliness of the built up areas reminded me of a theme park, albeit a very posh one bereft of the annoying man dressed like a rodent.

Close to the Patek Philippe store is the only ice cream place in the whole of Vaduz. It's owned by an Ilocana. It was not hard to guess that it also served as a Pinoy sari-sari store even without the large Philippine flags all over the place. There were the mandatory instant noodles and Sharon Cuneta-endorsed de lata. Who else would buy mediocre Serg's chocolates that cost twice as much as local Lindt bars but homesick Pinoys?

I had a scoop each of langka and ube sorbetes. As I greedily licked my ice cream cone like a lustful lesbian let loose on physical check-up day at Girls' High School, Manang's Liechtensteiner husband greeted me from across the parlour with "Ukinam, ukinam" to which I replied politely "Guten Morgen. Ukin-inam met ah". Disconcerting at first but who knew Ilocano can pass off as a Germanic dialect?

Manang proudly narrated how the Princess (the former Countess Kinsky of Wchinitz and Tettau) and her grandchildren regularly come for sorbetes.

"Alam mo, nung kararating ko rito, nagulat ako na walang bodyguard ang mga royals at parang ordinaryong tao lang sila!" And I was like "Er, manang, wala po tayo sa Isabela, aanhin naman nila ang bodyguards?" "Wala, naninibago lang ako kasi ultimo barangay kapitan namin sa San Pablo, maraming alalay."

After visiting the art gallery, I had farewell lunch with my wonderful social worker hosts. I had scouted the nearby mountains from across the Rhine yesterday and was happy that I was invited to come back and try to traverse the "Three Sisters" in summer. (And by that, I mean the mountains that border Austria.)

We killed time in the afternoon in the city of Buchs on the Swiss side. On the outerlimits of Buchs lies the smallest city of Switzerland - Werdenberg. HRO Karl Willem, PA/PR Gromit, and I had a grand time exploring its castle and the old houses around it.

After our mandatory high tea with the natives, we caught the Austrian train named Maria Theresa which began its journey from Vienna and terminates at the bustling metropolis that is Zurich.

At 5pm, HRO Karl Willem, PA/PR Gromit, and I were happily gorging on Luxemburgerli at that decadent Zurich chocolate institution Confiserie Sprüngli. I'm really not big on chocolates, but it's a great place to girl watch........


Beware: Michael Jackson crossing the street. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a numbered account here. A lot of corrupt third world officials have numbered accounts (like former Justice Secretary Perez, the tax-evading Pidal/Arroyo brothers. Thankfully, Liechtenstein is clamping down though on these dirty accounts.)

HRO Karl Willem and PA/PR Gromit take another coffee break at the chic museum cafe which has a Japanese sushi chef. The current art installation by Monika Sosnowska composed of a large mind-bending symmetric white maze that you can walk into is the stuff dreams are made of. Dali's Skull with Dancer was on temporary display as well as a Picasso before his cubism phase, and a shocking Pistoletto which I forgot to take a picture of because I was so enchanted and I only had a crappy disposable camera (it's a sculpture of a naked girl drinking tea juxtaposed next to a mirror.)

HRO Karl Willem and PA/PR Gromit at another museum, this time devoted to local history.

HRO Karl Willem and PA/PR Gromit and the smallest city of Switzerland in the canton of St. Gallen. Castle on a hill. Check. A couple of peasants houses around it. Check. Lake. Check. There, the ingredients for a city.

The train station at Buchs is the last Swiss station before Austria. The Austrian police check every caboose for passenger passports at this stop. While HRO Karl Willem and PA/PR Gromit travel visa fee, sadly loyal human consort The Nashman had to stay behind the yellow line.