You can take Da Nashman outta da 'hood, but you can't take the 'hood outta Da Nashman.....

I thank Kabunian that I'm fortunate enough to be able to occasionally feed the gluttonous tapeworms in my belly with the most scrumptious of meals in the most opulent of palaces surrounded by the most beautiful of creatures.

Yet, there are days when I withdraw into my room and re-enact some of the best moments of living in the mean slums of Baguio. After all, I may be The Nashman now, but deep inside my heart I'm still plain ol' Nash from da block, kanto boy and siga of Tabora Barangay.

So, swimming the last half of the route taken by what remained of Magellan's fleet only to drown in extra virgin olive oil in my Lafont skillet, was a school of golden tuyo -that very aromatic staple of afternoon lunches in da 'hood. (Ok, I couldn't find Minola or Baguio oil so I had to improvise.)

The humble tuyo (or piskaw as we say in Kankanaey - it's the new French, betches. Learn a word each day.) is a culinary masterpiece!

Hmm, maybe I'll bring some tuyo to Taillevent in Paris, or El Bulli in Barcelona, it's time for da tuyo to conquer the kitchens of Europa and I will be its ambassador!


Oh ha, even Nora Aunor can't smuggle two types of tuyo into Heathrow....at para lalong masarap, let Juan dela Cruz play some mean Pinoy rock...

I'm ready for my close up Mr. Heston Blumenthal. It looks ugly, but unlike Tongressman Prospero Pichay's recent imbecilic comments in the Inquirer podcast, tuyo doesn't leave a bitter aftertaste. At pwede ba Pichay, ako'y nagtatanim ng pechay kaya don't associate your fugliness with such a beautiful vegetable.

It's always better to use your fingers.....Ang pagpi-finger ay talagang nagbibigay sarap! (...at pareho rin ang amoy.....walang pinagkaiba....)