I stole someone's heart



It was at the very last minute that I confirmed my attendance to a book launch at the Philippine Embassy. I was slightly annoyed that the invite came via second class post!!!! I took this as an affront to my stature as spiritual leader of the Pinoy Oxbarrio Gastronomic Protest Society, the premiere Patay Gutom society. I now humbly apologise and should have applauded the Embassy's cost cutting measure. But more importantly, this was no ordinary book. Had this been another pa-intellectual developmental save the Philippines through some abstruse theoretical ekla-chu chu that was originally someone's boring thesis converted into a boring book, it would have been easy to say no.



The 1.5 hour commute to London by bus now passes quickly due to the free wifi. My gawd, what took them so long??? This is yesterday's technology. I hope buses would also be fitted to allow payment by plastic as they do in more advanced countries such as Sweden. This cash system is so inconveniently third world!

I arrived early and killed time at the Whole Foods store which is basically a big American chain selling organic and fair trade products. It's sorta like a non-evil WalMart really but very sterile, lacking in character, and the workers are overly cheerful. Since this is an American store, they're further behind with technology and can't process chip cards with pin verification. I had to sign for my credit card purchase with a signature. And I have forgotten how my signature looks like.



I urge you to buy this award winning book: Memories of Philippine Kitchens by Amy Besa and Romy Dorotan. The awesome photography is by Neal Oshima. This book is very very good. It's well researched and for us who still remember what sinigang looks like without the frigging Mama Sita instant pulbura mix, I guarantee a trip down memory lane. Anyways, if you is in Nu Yawk, dine at their restaurant, Cendrillon, where they serve red highland rice from the rice terraces no less!



Siempre, being patay-gutom, I positioned myself next to the pica-pica. I could perhaps describe some of the people in attendance but just read the first chapter of Noli Mi Tangere, all the characters were here. I could go on and on but I don't want to be boycotted by Malu Fernandez's Sorority Sisters. There were some interesting personalities, magazine editor this, photographer that, and Gina and I cornered Gordon Ramsay's former apprentice who also worked with Nobu-san. (Sa mga hende nakaka-alam, sila yung mga sikat na mag-cacarinderia with Michelin stars sa London.)

I was like in a minefield in Cambodia avoiding all those socialite landmines. Clinton and Lourdes pointed out to me the racist Pinay. (Yes, maniwala kayo sa hindi, there are racist Pinoys.)

Fortunately I managed to avoid the handbag crowd and had an illuminating long conversation with the author about how all those instant pulbura mixes are raising Filipino children ignorant of how real Pinoy grub tastes like. It's impressive how Mang Romy rose from being a dishwasher to one of the top New York chefs without any formal culinary training.

And finally, (since I is blogging on the bus and malapit na ako bumaba...), looky looky what I stole!!! Ang puso ng saging ni Mark Lapid!!!!!



Yes. I. stole. the. puso ng saging. So arrest me. I distracted the Ambassador and swiped the puso ng saging that was part of the buffet ornamentation and dropped it inside Gina's handbag! It will be good in ginataan!



The Nashman stealing the puso ng saging from the Embassy. Maghanap ka man ng saging sa buong England, si Nashman lang ang may puso!!! Si Nashman lang ang may pusooooooo!