Sissy War Chants

Hate me if you must but I'm never keen on singing our National Anthem, Lupang Hinirang.

Just count the number of times the word 'die' appears in most national anthems as well as the lack of mention for the contribution of women to nation building and it's pretty obvious that most national anthems are sexist and espouse violence.

Back in Boys' High, we only ever sing the last line during flag ceremony. The first 90% remains an instrumental piece capped by a booming "ANG MAMATAY NG DAHIL SA IYO". This inexplicably compelled a visiting US dignitary to write a critical letter to our principal questioning our lack of patriotism. Thankfully, she was quickly rebuked. Like the words of her country's anthem, her letter burst like a (stink) bomb.

And yet I find it silly that most anthems with fighting words are accompanied by the sissiest of tunes. Our anthem, the Italians', etc are more like lullabies than marching songs.

I'm not a warmonger (USA, China) or saber rattler (Iran, North Korea, Russia) but when it comes to friendly competition, I like me some testosterone raising battle cries.

New Zealand which has a very pacifist national anthem at least has the Haka while Samoa has Manu Sivi Tau and Tonga the Sipi Tau, war dances performed before the start of the match.

As a Kankanaey, I'm not aware if we ever have a pang-asar (better word than 'war') dance. I guess we have to import any from the Ifontoks or the Kalingas. And if I might add, I don't approve of their idiotic tribal wars in this day and age but I'm more than happy to join them preserving their war dances....with only prop axes and spears of course...(Let's not even talk about those violent Abrenian politicians/warlords. They are just fucking crazy those people. Maybe even a chess match is a full contact sport to them.)

Hmm, imagine if my Pelepens, that I truly love even if I'm not too enthusiastic in singing Bayang Magiliw, finally stops deluding itself that it will be a Basketball superpower and instead focuses on other winnable sports. What would we do similar to a Haka to psyche up our sportsmen? I guess we put our right hand over our heart and recite the other corny relic of pseudo-partiotism "Panatang Makabayan. Ene-ebeg ko ang Pelepenas. Eto ang akeng lopang senelangan......"


My neighbour's flag is up. Sadly, no reigning champion has successfully defended in Rugby Union World cup. I'm rooting for Japan, because their players are so tiny and I like underdogs. Pinoy na pinoy, mahilig sa dehado.

After singing their anthem having words like peace this and peace that, the All Blacks stomp and slap their hardwood thighs. Magtago na kayo sa bestida ng nanay nyo, pati aso nyo kakainin namin.....

And if you think Japan has the smallest rugby players. Spare a prayer and buy a personals ad for the intercession of all the saints in the Baguio Midland Courier for the Portuguese...


Parang Jamaican bobsled team.....

The tackles in rugby are more sensible than the overly padded American Football where you can stupidly be extremely violent and not be injured but nevertheless the lack of protective gear in Rugby provides Salonpas and Bengay years of business.