Sao Paulo 2

There was no masseuse available at the hotel so to shrug off the muscle pains I decided to wake up at noon and take a long walk. The street where my hotel stands is very much like your typical Manila street. There are lots of carinderias, kanto boys, stores etc. In short, the street, far from being the archetypical sterile central business area is alive. I loves it.

With my first proper meal, I can safely say that Sao Paulo is food heaven. Nothing fancy, very rustic and includes the usual suspects of chicharon and the 10,000 ways they can cook beef in this cattle country. And they charge you por kilo. Yup, basically go to the buffet table with a big ass plate, fill it up, then hand it over to the cashier who puts the plate on a weighing scale. Today I ate R$19.12 worth of food.

I then walked the entire length of Avenue Paulista for the whole afternoon. I visited the Museo de Arte de Sao Paulo which is holding an exhibition of Darwin in Brazil. Here, I spent some quality moments watching two turtles getting jiggy with it. And when the museum blurbs said it has the most important collection of western art in the Southern Hemisphere, they really mean it. I got a throbbing hard on as I entered the permanent exhibition area. (There must be a medical term for this condition of getting an erection in a gallery. Oh ha, I moved the turnstile without using my hands. This just shows how I view art - solely for its beauty and the raw emotions it rips from my very being. I don't do art for the intellectual eklat pomposity.)

Anywho, the musuem had lots of Renoirs, Toulouse-Lautrecs, Matisses, Cezannes, Manets and a radiant Turner watercolour. Everything was in Portugese of course so I was lost as to how they managed to acquire such number and quality of pieces. Of course, these painters are known for how easily they convinced women to undress. Sige na iha, hubad na, por art's sake.

Walk, cafe, walk, window shop, walk, cafe - the usual stuff I do wherever I am on a Saturday.

And then I walked into a primary school. The boys were playing football. (Duh, what else? Ano pa nga ba? Alangan naman basketball). Now, who would pass on the chance to play pick-up football in Brazil? Certainly not me. The kids were, I'd say 10 years old. I pushed the goalie aside. Tabi ka totoy. Papakita ko sa inyo ang paano maging tunay na goalie. I've played goalkeeper before in Oxbarrio and these were kids. How hard could it be? Said the brave and foolish Nashman. This kid, seriously, was no more than 4 feet tall. He got the ball, flicked it in mid air, caught it on the tip of his foot, lobbed it, then spun it towards me with the other foot. Goaaaaaal!

Fota, hende lang yun, ang lakas nung pagkakasipa nya kumalog yung makeshift metal goal namin. Tangna, napaihi ako sa takot. I had to make a graceful exit. Totoy, balik ka na dito. Ikaw muna. Rest lang ako, injury time out, with matching overacting....

Needless to say, I spent most of the time BEHIND the makeshift goal, just watching and letting the boys show me how its done. Eww, kababain.

I love the kanto life. Carinderia al Fresco!

Lahat ng parte ng hayup. Wala patawad. Tender juicy to the bone yung paa ng baboy!

Hoy, alam ba yan ni Madir...This seems to be the National sitting posture for couples.

The Museu de Arte de Sao Paulo is a box that levitates in air.

Avenida Paulista is chock full of skyscrapers.

Them boys are good! I think I will hide behind the safety of the metal barrier.