We love Ouro Preto

1. It's 1000m above sea level.
2. It's old but not too restored. Not too clean, not too dirty, not too overrun by tourists. It doesn't feel like Disneyland. (Or let's be honest, it's not like that one street in Vigan that feels so contrived. I personally think the best parts of Vigan are the non-touristy sidestreets where real people live.)
3. Cachaca (cane liquor). It's 42% alcohol by volume. Apparently this region makes the best. Quite a challenge going home intoxicated and having to tackle those steep cobbled streets.
4. Samba dancing with the pretty natives.


I know I'm intoxicated but I couldn't have imagined this. Ballet on the ledges at 11pm. Very very good choreography.

That's my room on the leftmost and this is the bus of happiness.

'tol, ano bang atin today?

HRO Karl Willem and PA/PR Gromit send you greetings from Ouro Preto.

Waiting for the chu-chu chuga-chug-ah train to Mariana.